Friday, March 2, 2018

{Review} Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Synopsis

Title: Ready Player One
Author: Ernest Cline
Pages: 386
Published: January 30th 2018
Publisher: Broadway Books
Genre: Young Adult/Science Fiction
My Rating: 1/5
Add To: Goodreads

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines--puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.
But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win--and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.


My Thoughts
★ Star

Completely unimpressed. 

This book was so unoriginal it was borderline theft.

I was so excited to read this book because like everyone else, I heard how amazballs this book was and because COME ON!! The 80s!! Even as a 90s kid I knew the 80s were awesome. I knew I couldn't pass this up.

I very quickly regretted this decision. It started out give you way to much unimportant information. Each chapter had maybe a page or two worth reading then the rest was just "fill in". Not to mention this book was as flat as the pages it was written on. I had zero connection with any of the characters. I think the only one I slightly liked was Ach or however you spell his/her name. And Im not even sure why. 

Anyway.

As for the story line its pretty much been done before. 
The movie was called Gamer if I'm not mistaken.

I think the author just tweaked it to fit. Took a bunch of 80s stuff and tossed it in. There was NOTHING original about this. 

Don't waste your time. If you're curious, just watch the movie. 
Never thought I'd say those words but there they are.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top