Friday, October 13, 2017

{Review} MARY: The Summoning by Hillary Monahan

Synopsis
Title: MARY: The Summoning
Series: Bloody Mary #1
Author: Hillary Monahan
Pages: 245
Published: September 2nd 2014
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Genre: Young Adult/Horror
My Rating: 3/5
Add To: Goodreads

There is a right way and a wrong way to summon her.
Jess had done the research. Success requires precision: a dark room, a mirror, a candle, salt, and four teenage girls. Each of them--Jess, Shauna, Kitty, and Anna--must link hands, follow the rules . . . and never let go.
A thrilling fear spins around the room the first time Jess calls her name: "Bloody Mary. Bloody Mary. BLOODY MARY." A ripple of terror follows when a shadowy silhouette emerges through the fog, a specter trapped behind the mirror.
Once is not enough, though--at least not for Jess. Mary is called again. And again. But when their summoning circle is broken, Bloody Mary slips through the glass with a taste for revenge on her lips. As the girls struggle to escape Mary's wrath, loyalties are questioned, friendships are torn apart, and lives are forever altered.
A haunting trail of clues leads Shauna on a desperate search to uncover the legacy of Mary Worth. What she finds will change everything, but will it be enough to stop Mary--and Jess--before it's too late?


My Thoughts
★★★ Stars

So...

I've been obsessed with Bloody Mary since I was a little kid. Which I'm sure my obsession is my sister's fault because she was a teen when I was a kid.

This book shows a more modern story which I enjoyed. Mainly because it's RARE for anyone to know about Bloody Mary these days. I honestly thought she (as well as many other legends like Candy Man) died off in the 90s. So it's good to see a legacy live on. Lol

I loved all the diverse characters EXCEPT JESS!! She is the prime image of a two-faced-back-stabbing "friend". I don't know why any of them stayed friends with her when she was nothing but a bully who talked about the other behind their backs. I couldn't help wondering why they didn't realize that as soon as they left, she'd talk about them as well. Smh.

Other than her, the story was great. Until the end. It was anticlimactic. There was so much excitement and then it flopped.

But I still want to get book 2 and find out what happens. I need to know.

If you're a horror fan or a bloody Mary fan I'd say you should try to read this book

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top