Saturday, September 16, 2017

Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

Synopsis

Title: Finding Audrey
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Pages: 286
Published: June 9th 2015
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary/Mental Illness
My Rating: 4/5
Add To: Goodreads

An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.

My Thoughts
★★★★ Stars

Eye contact is a big deal. It's the biggest deal. Just the thought makes me feel sick, right down to my core.

I actually finished this book a few days ago but I have still been trying to process my thoughts on this book. The book was great, don't get me wrong. It's just that is was SO great that is the problem. Lol

I don't know what took me so long to read this. I remember seeing it around in a lot of stores and in the library and I always glanced at it but never picked it up. This time, I couldn't help myself and I am glad I got it because, oh my gosh, Finding Audrey is freaking amazing!

I want to say the problem I had with the book is that whatever happened to her wasn't addressed. The reader doesn't know what happened to her so it makes it kinda hard to connect with her. All we know is something REALLY BAD happened and everyone has to tiptoe to not trigger her. But as someone with severe anxiety, I get  why it was written that way. I understand how damaging and dangerous it can be. But on the other hand, I feel like someone who doesn't have anxiety or depression won't understand it so it would be harder for them to connect with her.
I'm really hoping that makes sense. Lol

At some points, I hated all the characters except Frank. On the other hand, I loved them all. Because to me, they all represented some form of mental illness. Though I doubt the author meant for them to be that, that is just how I see them. OCD, Anxiety, Depression, ADHD, Bi-polar.... the works. Lol
And they weren't really ashamed of it. They were just "that" family. And I loved that.

Mental illness is such a sensitive subject. There is so much stigma. So it's always like a breath of fresh air when you read a book that hits the nail on the head that shows it's real. That is does happen. But it's also something you can work with and manage and overcome.

I really loved the ending of this book. I really hope everyone that reads it, finishes it. Because I admit there were times when I wanted to put it down for a while. (Mainly because of the mom and checked out dad) but i literally couldn't put it down. I needed to know how it would end. And the ending did not disappoint. This has got to be one of the most happiest endings I have ever read. Ever.

I would recommend this book.



***IN ADDITION*** 
(possible spoilers, be warned)

Because I know I will get some hate somewhere that she got "better" because of a "boy" and I would just like to say that is only part true. Here is my thought on it.
After what happened to her, I wouldn't doubt she has trust issues with girls. Even with her best friend. I think if Linus had been a girl, Audrey would still be in her din with her glasses on.

Linus was the key to helping her get better. Because her family and therapist couldn't. She said it herself that they were her safe place. So of course they wouldn't push her and if they did, she could easily ignore them or walk away.

At first I despised Linus. Because of all the things he said. I couldn't help but to hate him. But the more he came around, he helped set goals for her and she never had to do them alone. He also made them fun to do. He showed her "I can do it, you can too." and I think that is important to someone with anxiety. And if things went wrong, he helped. And by that, I do mean what he did in Starbucks. that was really awesome of him to do.

That's just my thought on it though.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top