Friday, August 11, 2017

{Review} Dream Me by Kathryn Berla

Synopsis
Title: Dream Me
Author: Kathryn Berla
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary
My Rating: 3/5
Add To: Goodreads

Zat is a dreamer from the distant future—a time when humans no longer dream and Earth is a desolate wasteland. He dreams of the beautiful Earth of the past, and a fiery-haired beauty named Babe. Against the wisdom of his peers, Zat decides to risk everything to travel back in time and live in Babe’s dreams…
Babe is the perpetual new girl in town. Her father's job frequently moves the family around the country, and Babe just longs for a place to call home. As she settles into the sleepy town of Sugar Dunes, Florida, Babe begins to have strange dreams of a green-eyed boy named Zat. Night after night, Babe shows Zat her world. But the dreams come at the cost of nearly crippling migraines every morning. Babe’s life outside of her dreams pales in comparison to her growing love for Zat and their time spent together.
But the more time Babe and Zat spend together in her dreams, the more Babe’s pain increases, and Zat begins to question the reality of his existence. How can he live a life with Babe, when all they have is her dreams?
Can a dream become a reality?


My Thoughts
★★★ Star
I received this book in return for an honest review.

The ending alone is worth a extra star on it's own.
It's what saved it from being two stars for me.

I liked this book, I really did. It has a ton of potential. But I just felt like their was a lot of things missing. 
What really got me was this was suppose to be a sci-fi book (not really a fan of those but I admit, the blurb really drew me in to this book) but there really wasn't anything sci-fi about it.... It was more like paranormal/supernatural. 

Babe is new to town and starts dreaming of Zeb(?) Zed? Something like that ... they are both from earth yet... not? It's weird and confusing to me. I could go more into it but I don't want to ruin the book for anyone. Because it would be loaded with spoilers. 

I had a lot of issues with this book though, sadly. I get she is new to the south, but for the 2 examples I am about to provide, you can understand why I rolled my eyes so hard
"Fire ant? What kind of strange creature was that?" Page 24
"It occurred to me that maybe women didn't shake hands in this part of the world." Page 77

How does a person not know what a fire ant is or that women shake hands? "In this part of the world" Are. You. Serious.
We talk different, we are not from another freaking world. Also was not a fan of how the southerners were made to talk like they were ignorant. We would most likely say "y'all" before "yew". Just saying. I get most people may think "Well that is how Cajuns talk." ...... no, baby. No. They don't. 

Loved how the main character was a vegetarian and started shoveling in meat. (That was sarcasm) Sorry. That is not how it works. She reminded me of those hipsters that say they are something just to "fit in" .... Guess I can understand that since she just came from Cali? I don't know. 

I think the deal breaker for me was the sexual assault. Because it happened more than once, and when she took her anger (I saw it as anger, but whatever) out - she was told to leave work for a week. Then assault happens and finally they tell the guy to leave, but again- no one presses charges. Are you kidding me?! The next girl may not be so lucky of it being a forced kiss and ass grab. (No, I don't mean she was lucky that happened to her, I am just saying, the next time - BECAUSE THERE IS ALWAYS A NEXT TIME the next girl won't have that happen, she will most likely be raped.) what about previous victims. You know there have to be. She can't be his first. 
Ugh! It just turns my freaking stomach and pisses me off! 

Also, how she claims Mia as her best friend but makes fun if her last name every chance she gets. Yeah no. That got old quick. 

I know I said I liked this book, I did. Those were just some issues I had with it. The story line was a good idea. I think it would make a great story. But I felt like we only saw the middle of the book. We weren't given much to work with and what we had didn't really matter.... if that makes sense. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top