Sunday, June 4, 2017

90 Days of Different by Eric Walters

Synopsis

Title: 90 Days of Different
Author: Eric Walters
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary/Peer Pressure
My Rating: 3/5
Add To: Goodreads

On the last day of high school, Sophie's boyfriend breaks up with her. It turns out he thinks she is too predictable, too responsible, too mature...too boring.
When Sophie turns to her best friend, Ella, for comfort and reassurance, Ella just confirms what her boyfriend has said. And that hurts even more.
Then Ella comes up with a plan to help Sophie find her wilder side before college. In the ninety days between the end of high school and the start of university, she is going to arrange for Sophie to do amazing, new, different and sometimes scary things. Sophie has to agree to everything no matter what. And she has to share her adventures through social media.
Can ninety days of different create a different life? Can stepping outside your comfort zone help you find yourself?


My Thoughts
★★★ Star

My mother died and some part of me stopped living as well. I was too scared. I was forced to think about things I didn't have any answers for, to feel things I couldn't share with anybody, and there was nobody to talk to or ask. Nobody.


The book starts off with Sophie's boyfriend breaking up with her because she is "boring" "predictable" and "old" (all the because she is responsible ) in which after that happens, her "best friend" Ella pretty much takes his side and talks Sophie into doing 90 different things that she (Ella) plans before Sophie heads off to college.

(honestly that alone pissed me off because Sophie clearly tells her to begin with that she wants to read to kinda get ahead for college, which is SMART! College is freaking HARD. But no, no, suddenly now Ella gets a bug up her butt that Sophie HAS to do these. Ya know, now that she is grown and the time to play is over. ya know, she just HAS to do it NOW. Not years ago or anything. Ugh! Anyway!)


I hated this book. I hate to say that, but I really do. As well as every character. I wouldn't hate Sophie if it weren't for pages 47-51. Since when was fat-shaming people, screaming at elders, and throwing/eating other people's food "cool" and "liberating"? It made me sick to my stomach.

A lot of these "differents" (I really wish they had said challenges, not differents. Is differents even a word?) were interesting but quiet a few were dangerous and illegal. Which always lead me to think "Okay, she is your best friend but is not only endangering your life but could possibly ruin your chance of college if you get caught. Yeah okay. What a awesome friend that is. *eye roll*

Lets talk about the characters for a bit:
Sophie was a rug. Before you freak out saying "But she did those challenges!" sure, she did. but she was shoved into them. Kinda like those insane people who throw their kids in deep water to learn to swim saying "swim or drown". That's what that reminds me of.

This whole book was Sophie being peer pressured to do things that made her uncomfortable and borderline torture. Because gosh forbid she try to stand up for herself, Ella will just freak the hell out.

Sophie was a weak character.

Ella: you mean the Egotistical Narcissist Cupcake Princess? If there was ever a character I wish would die, it would be Little Miss Priss Ella. I love how she claims to be doing all of this to "help" Sophie but every single chance she gets, she makes it about herself. All she does is complain with these:
-"You're prettier than me"
-"Guys like you more"
-"When we walk into a room, I am invisible"
-"You're skinnier than me"
You know, THOSE kind. I wish I had kept count of how many times she said these. It was annoying.
She guilt trips Sophie nonstop through the whole book. Even at one time, Sophie hurts her wrist during a challenge and Ella literally freaks out because she went to the doctor to make sure it wasn't broken. She says (and I quote)

"How predictable - you need to have everything checked out. The doctor probably told you what a wonderful patient you were."-pg203

"You probably waited patiently in the waiting room, did what you were told, said please and thank you to the nurses and doctors. You know what I mean."-pg204


Like what in the hell are you SUPPOSE to do at a hospital!? Act a fool and get kicked out when you NEED their help!? Are you freaking mental!?

She then proceeds to (of course) not care that her so called best friend was hurt and demands "You haven't even asked how my date went!" which ends with Sophie apologizing purposefully and of course Ella counters with "Sorry that he didn't ask you out instead of me?"


Personally, I think Ella is the WORST kind of "friend"
And I really have to throw it out there that the whole flirting heavily with a 11 year old is not cute, funny, or adorable. It's disgusting.


Sophie's Dad: I am not really sure how I feel. I know he is trying to be a dad, but I felt like he wanted to be one of those parents that would rather be a friend than a dad. I think he was setting a really poor example for Oliver to grow into.


I loved the ending though. It was definitely awesome. All in all, I loved the writing, it flowed like magical liquid and the story line was definitely interesting and actually reminded me a bit of Fangirl.

All in all, I would not recommend this book but I wouldn't tell someone to not read it. It is really one of those books that you have to read for yourself to know if you will like it or not. It's one of those rare reads that will definitely have different views.




**side note from me: Sorry I used the names so much, there was no other way I could review it without using their names. It would have gotten confusing. Unless I used something like Rug and Egotistical Narcissist

6 comments :

  1. Thanks for this refreshing review!

    I really think this book would annoy me like hell since I think myself to be responsible and predictable as well and I think those are perfectly fine characteristics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the exact same way. Lol maybe that's one reason it annoyed me so much. I just don't see why they suddenly want to change her. What's so horrible about being responsible? Lol

      Delete
    2. I even teach kids of the age 7/8 in my classroom to be responsible... Nope, won't read this book, ghehe :)

      Delete
    3. amen for that! It's so rare these days. and rare like a snowball in hell rare. Lol

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely going to have to give this book a go at it after reading this awesome review. It's so detailed (in a good way)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really can't wait to see your thoughts on it. I'm sure I will be waiting a while but I know it will be worth it! Lol

      Delete

Back to Top