Friday, January 13, 2017

The Marked by Emerald Barnes

Synopsis

Title: The Marked
Series: Knight's Academy Book 1
Author: Emerald Barnes
Genre: YA/Paranormal
My Rating: 5/5


Myka Williams has never fit in with her peers, and although her adoptive parents are loving and supportive, she feels most at home alone in the woods.
When she's offered a full scholarship to Knight's Academy in the Smoky Mountains of Tennes-see, she takes the opportunity for a fresh start. She soon learns that Knight’s Academy is more than just a school. Within the stone walls of the institution, humans and vampires are mixing, and their offspring are going unnoticed.
As Myka falls prey to the evil plan of the school, she makes a chilling discovery about her own heritage and realizes that she’s at the Academy for more than just an education. Myka must yield to her birthright at the risk of losing everyone she loves or succumb to the fate that Knight’s Academy has in store for her—a fate worse than death.




My Thoughts
★★★★★+++ Stars
I received this book in return for an honest review.
I actually finished this book way earlier today but am still sitting here not sure what to say. 
It really ins't that often you come across a book that makes you want to write the whole review in gifs because words fail you, so if I use to many gifs, I am sorry, words fail me right now over how awesome this book is. Lol

The Marked is one of those rare books that you literally don't want to put down. It is also one that makes you want to scream your head off when people keep bugging you while you read it.
Ohhh how I wanted to read this all in one sitting but I forced myself to take breathers before my head exploded or I end up throwing my book.

When I first started this book, I thought it had a Vampire Knight mood/setting but, after a while, that changed. The writing was so fluid. The only thing I really had trouble with was the intro. I felt it gave away to much to soon but I don't think it is enough to make someone quit, just makes them a bit curious of "Will this come out like all the others or will this be different?" As someone who has read a lot of these kinds of books, this is different. Oddly enough you think one person will be the bad guy, only to find out, yeah, he is a bad guy but then Preston walks right the heck in. And if this guy does NOT make you want to rip his head off, then you might slightly be a psycho. (jk...maybe. lol)
I mean from the second you mean Preston, you just get this creeper vibe, like really bro?

"He wrapped his arm around her waist [...]"



Preston took her hand in his and led her to the cafeteria.



and the infamous bad guy line:
You're mine.

Oh reeeeeaaaaalllllly, home skillet. You think so?



And that is just a few of the many many many cringe worthy, anger filling moments. 

But then there is Milo, there is so much I want to say here but the one thing that conquers all every time I think about his character is Kiss the Girl and Your Body Is A Wonderland, Which I actually made a joke to the author talking about a remix song "Kiss the Wonderland" lol

I did expect more from Milo though. I felt like his character lacked just a little bit. But, since book two is still in the works, I'm sure it's just building up his character.


Myka's parents got on my nerves. I won't lie. They seemed more like teenage siblings than her parents. Which made me question them every time they come on the set. Her dad seemed to complain a lot, but eh. I rolled with it. It wasn't until the mom stepped in and was trying to buy her a dress that in my opinion made Myka seem like a total whore. Her mom was to much like a "best friend" even being rebellious to her own husband who didn't like the dress nor wanted to buy the dress.... story short, she got the dress. OH! I know who she reminds me of! Regina George's mother!



Ugh this book was bloody brilliant though. Honestly. From start to finish. Full of surprises. I really would recommend this book.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top