Saturday, June 18, 2016

Ghostgirl (Ghostgirl #1) by Tonya Hurley

Synopsis

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
And if I should die before I awake,
I pray the popular attend my wake.


Charlotte Usher feels practically invisible at school, and then one day she really is invisible. Even worse: she's dead. And all because she choked on a gummy bear. But being dead doesn't stop Charlotte from wanting to be popular; it just makes her more creative about achieving her goal.
If you thought high school was a matter of life or death, wait till you see just how true that is. In this satirical, yet heartfelt novel, Hurley explores the invisibility we all feel at some times and the lengths we'll go to be seen.


My Thoughts
★★ Disappointing Stars
*cricket noises*
What the what?!
My heart is shattering right now. Seriously. Don't be taken in by this lovely, amazing, and wonderful cover! It's all a ruse! Ugh I could cry, this book was such a let down! I mean wow.... I wanted to love this book, I really did... and I tried so hard to love it, but I just couldn't!
All Charlotte wanted was to be miss popular, get the guy, and have the world revolve around her. Long story short, she wanted to be Petula. But yet Petula is such this horrible character that everyone hates, how is she no different than Charlotte? She wants everything Petula has, even though it doesn't come flat out saying that, it's pretty much common sense there.

Speaking of Petula... Doesn't she remind you of someone..... here's a hint:

Along with her two minions and boy wonder! Is there really anything else to say here? I think not.

.....I think most of these characters were based around Mean Girls, I kid you not. It's just to much of a "coincidence"

I liked Scarlet though, she seemed pretty cool, but yet I didn't like her. So I guess you HAVE to be goth to like all black and rock stuff, huh? You can't just like that stuff and not have a label. Yeah, okay, whatever. And I guess because she is a "goth" she has to instantly accept ghosts without so much as a freak out?....Riiiiiiight. Okay. Yeah, no. Then there is the whole "You can use my body." .......Who does that?!

I just don't get this book. Other than Scarlet, no one really "stood up" against the bullies. They all just rolled over and took it. This book was flat. There was no building at all, not even in the characters in my opinion because you don't suddenly go from "me. me. me. I want. I want. I want." to looking in a mirror and suddenly go to "She should have this. This is hers."

I'm actually shocked ghostgirl was so long, considering it gave us such little to no information about the settings. Maybe something here and there about what it looked like, but most of the time, it was really nothing..... and I honestly wonder if I am the only one wondering about where the parents are through this whole book. :/
So disappointing. :(

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top