Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Tortures of the Damned by Hunter Shea

Synopsis

SHOCK…First, the electricity goes—plunging the east coast in darkness after a devastating nuclear attack. Millions panic. Millions die. They are the lucky ones.  AFTER SHOCK…Next, the chemical weapons take effect—killing or contaminating everything alive. Except a handful of survivors in a bomb shelter. They are the damned. HELL IS FOR HUMANSThen, the real nightmare begins. Hordes of rats force two terrified families out of their shelter—and into the savage streets of an apocalytic wasteland. They are not alone. Vicious, chemical-crazed animals hunt in packs. Dogs tear flesh, cats draw blood, horses crush bone. Roaming gangs of the sick and dying are barely recognizable as human. These are the times that try men’s souls. These are the tortures that tear families apart. This is hell on earth. The rules are simple: Kill or die.


My Thoughts
★★ Stars
I received this book via NG in return for an honest review.
I was expecting more from this book honestly. The blurb really drew me in and I couldn't wait to read it. It started out promising, then the more I read, the more I just wanted to put it down and label it "DNF".
I must say, this was very original IMO and sounds like some stuff Stephen King would write. I think close to the end was just a bit way to much for me though. With the pedophile and gang trying to constantly rape the girls... It made me sick to my stomach to the point, I had to put the book down for a while because I thought I would throw up.
While the characters and story line was really interesting and nothing like I'd ever read before, this just wasn't my thing.

2 comments :

  1. Thank you very much for taking the time to read and review my book. I'm sorry it wasn't your cup of tea. The end of the world is a brutal thing. I did want to make one clarification. There technically isn't a pedophile in the book - just a man who is crazed and infected who makes one comment to scare the hell out of a woman and her child. And there is only one attempted rape of 2 women in their 40s that doesn't go well for the rapists - a fitting end for them. I just don't want readers thinking there are constant instances of rape or pedophilia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry my review has upset you. I believe you are right about it being the end, I do believe people will actually be this way when the world comes to a screeching halt. Lol.
      But to also clarify, (This may contain spoilers so caution to those who still plan to read this book)
      1) "There isn't a pedophile" really? The man clearly stated to her mother "I don't want you" then he proceeded to attack them and when her husband got there, he had them pinned against a fence trying to get to her daughter. (All this with a knife and his dick hanging out) Also, I'd actually like to add, I really liked how he died. Justice!
      2) "there is only one attempted rape" Again, another thing I do not believe. Here is why - when they first ran into the gang, they made them take their shirts off, ect (we [those who have read it] know how that turned out) but you can NOT tell me, had no one got shot, that there would be no rape. They were working up to it. Then the very last time it was 100% clear what was about to go down. for one, the guy was going to make her son wash her privates THEN they would rape her, but of course - that didn't happen but they did proceed to go to rape her and had her daughter not busted in, we all know they would have succeeded all while her family had to watch.
      The reason I used "constantly" is because every run in they had with the gang it pretty much led to some sort of sexual assault.

      And notice, I said close to the END. Nowhere did I say the whole book was FULL of rape and pedophilia.
      Again, sorry my review upset you, I was just being honest with my thoughts but thank you for letting me read your book, the story line and characters really were very interesting. I just didn't like the other stuff.
      -Ash

      Delete

Back to Top